Named for Secretary of War Russell A. Alger, the camp was established in May 1898 on a 1,400-acre farm called Woodburn Manor. Some 23,500 men trained here for service in the Spanish-American War. The large military population greatly affected the lives of the residents of the small communities of Falls Church and Dunn Loring. The camp was abandoned early in August 1898 after an epidemic of typhoid fever. The War Department began the sale of land in September 1898.
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: 7435 Arlington Boulevard (Route 50), Falls Church, VA 22042. Marker is on right when traveling east.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth