George Camp Jr (1793-1879) acquired this land in 1826. Several of his children incorporated the Camp Manufacturing Company in 1887 to operate sawmills. The company expanded into a wood product manufacturing company and later a paper mill. It became the largest employer in the region with operations in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida. In 1956, the company merged with Union Bag and Paper Company of New York, which became a part of International Paper in 1999. The Federal-style dwelling here was moved to this site early in the 1930s to replace the earlier family home that had burned in 1931.
Geographic Location: Southampton County
Physical Description of Location: 101-299 Homestead Road, about .15 miles north of intersection with Clay Street (US 58), Franklin, VA 23851.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth