Callaway-Steptoe Cemetery Marker, K-135

Nearby are buried several prominent area settlers and their descendants. Col. William Callaway, in 1755 one of the first two members of the Virginia House of Burgesses from Bedford County, donated the hundred acres of land on which the town of New London was built. His son Col. James Callaway served as county lieutenant (commander in chief) of the Bedford County militia during the Revolutionary War. James Callaway's son-in-law James Steptoe was a close personal friend of Thomas Jefferson and served for 54 years as the first clerk of Bedford County. Steptoe's home, Federal Hill, stands nearby.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1997
Region: Blue Ridge and Central Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Bedford County
Physical Description of Location: 12948 E Lynchburg Salem Turnpike Forest, Va 24551. Located on East Lynchburg Salem Turnpike (Hwy 460), 0.8 miles east of the intersection of East Lynchburg Salem Turnpike (Hwy 460) and Thomas Jefferson Road. Marker is on the left when traveling east on East Lynchburg Salem Turnpike (Hwy 460).
GPS Location: 37.305204,-79.293812
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth