Pittsylvania was cut off from Halifax in 1767 and the courthouse built here. In 1769 a town named Chatham was established here on land of James Roberts. A few years later Samuel Calland opened a store and the town took his name. In 1777 Henry County was cut off from Pittsylvania, and the county seat moved to Competition, more centrally located. The name Competition became Chatham in 1874.
Geographic Location: Pittsylvania County
Physical Description of Location: 152 Sago Road, Callands, VA 24530. Marker is at northeast corner of intersection between Sago Road and Callands Road (Virginia 57).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth