In 1803, the Virginia General Assembly established Cabellsville one mile west of here on the Old Stage Road, on 25 acres owned by Congressman Samuel Jordan Cabell. The village was platted before Nelson County was formed from Amherst County in 1807, and the new community developed around the first Amherst County courthouse constructed after that county was created in 1761. After the formation of Nelson County, its justices continued to meet periodically in the old building in Cabellsville until a new courthouse was erected on land that James Loving donated in Lovingston.
Geographic Location: Nelson County
Physical Description of Location: 3615-3799 Thomas Nelson Hwy (Route 29 South), Arrington, VA 22922. Marker is on right just past intersection with Cooperative Way.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth