Butts Tavern Marker, UM-51

According to local tradition, the first court meeting for newly formed Greensville County occurred in Butts Tavern two blocks east on 22 Feb. 1781. Built about 1770 at the intersection of Fort Christianna and Halifax Roads for William Edwards, the tavern was named for John Butts, who owned it early in the 19th century. By midcentury, the tavern was either remodeled or enlarged to become a Greek Revival-style frame dwelling. After the Civil War, Sallie W. Reese operated the Belfield Seminary for Young Ladies and Children there between 1877 and 1891. While undergoing restoration, the building was damaged by fire on 10 Feb. 1965. The ruins were demolished in 1968.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1999
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Emporia
Physical Description of Location: Emporia, VA 23847. Located on North Main Street (Hwy 301), 0.25 miles south of the intersection of North Main Street (Hwy 301) and US-56 Bypass. Marker is on the left when traveling south on North Main Street (Hwy 301).
GPS Location: 36.692171,-77.539795
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth