Butterwood Chapel, one of three Anglican chapels constructed in Dinwiddie County in the 18th century, was built by 1763 on or near this site. It probably was the first church built after the creation of Bath Parish in 1742. The Reverend Devereux Jarrett, a father of Methodism in Virginia, ministered to the congregation before the disestablishment of the Church of England in 1786. Capt. Henry D. Dickerson, C.S.A., revived the church after moving his family here to the Darvills community by 1865. William Randolph Atkinson designed and constructed the present frame building about 1866.
Geographic Location: Dinwiddie County
Physical Description of Location: Wilsons, VA 23894. Located on Darvills Road, less than 1/5 of a mile east of the intersection of Darvills Road and Zilles Road. Marker is on the right when traveling east on Darvills Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth