The Bunch of Grapes Tavern stood here during Hampton's heyday as a busy colonial seaport in the 1700s. The tavern, one of three then, served as an inn and meeting place for sea captains, planter and agents from the nearby customhouse where cargoes were registered. In August 1861, Capt. Jefferson C Phillips's Confederate troops burned most of Hampton, along with the Bunch of Grapes, to prevent Union forces at nearby Fort Monroe from occupying the town. Archaeological digs have uncovered thousands of artifacts from the 18th and 19th centuries. The Hampton History Museum displays many of them, including some from the tavern site.
Year On Marker: 2007
Original Sponsor: Hampton History Museum Association
Geographic Location: Hampton
Physical Description of Location: Corner of 600 Settlers Landing Road and South King Street in Hampton, VA 23669. Marker is in park adjacent to Virginia Air and Space Center.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth