Between 1817 and 1949, nearby Buffalo Springs hosted guests from across the country, promising good health from its mineral waters. The springs prospered after Thomas F. Goode (1825-1905) acquired ownership in 1874, improved the resort, and promoted the lithia water from Spring No. 2 as a cure-all. The resort boasted hotels, cabins, golf, bowling, horseback riding, tennis, dancing, and meals with spring water. Although the resort and the bottling of "Buffalo Lithia Water" eventually declined, the sale of water continued until 1949. In 1950, the site was acquired for the John H. Kerr Reservoir, which periodically inundates the property.
Year On Marker: 2006
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Mecklenburg County
Physical Description of Location: US 58 eastbound at top of T intersection with Buffalo Springs Road, Buffalo Junction, VA 24529. Marker is on right when traveling east on US 58.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth