containertop

Buckingham County Marker, Z-282

Buckingham County was formed from Albemarle County in 1761. The county seat is Buckingham, originally known as Maysville. In 1822 a courthouse, Virginia's first temple-form porticoed courthouse, was constructed there based on Thomas Jefferson's plans. The courthouse burned in 1869 and was rebuilt in 1873 to a similar design. Renowned American Revolutionary soldier Peter Francisco lived here for a number of years. It is also the birthplace of noted African American teacher, educator and historian Carter G. Woodson (1875-1950).

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/18/03
Year On Marker: 2003
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Nelson County
Physical Description of Location: James River Road (Virginia 56), Wingina, VA 24599. Marker is on left when traveling south on Virginia 56, about 500 feet past intersection with Norwood Road (State Route 647).
GPS Location: 37.638226,-78.722249
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom