The town was established in 1811 and named for Colonel John Buchanan, pioneer and soldier. It was incorporated in 1833. Its importance consisted in its being the western terminus of the James River and Kanawha Canal, which reached the town in 1851. Hunter passed here moving to Lynchburg, June, 1864. The town was reincorporated in 1892.
Geographic Location: Botetourt County
Physical Description of Location: 19517 Main Street (Route 11), Buchanan, VA 24066. Marker is on right when traveling south on Maine Street (Hwy 11).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth