containertop

Buchanan County Marker, Z-184

Buchanan County is situated in the heart of Southwest Virginia's coalfields in the Appalachian Plateau and was formed from Tazewell and Russell Counties in 1858. The county is named for James Buchanan who served as president of the United States from 1857 to 1861. The area was first explored about 1750, but few settlers remained permanently until after the Revolutionary War. Timbering was an early industry in the county and it remained sparsely settled until the development of the coal mining industry here in the 1930s. Grundy is the county seat.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2002
Region: Southwest Region
Geographic Location: Buchanan County
Physical Description of Location: Richlands, VA 24641. Located on George C. Parry Hwy (Hwy 460), 1.5 miles southeast of the junction of George C. Parry Hwy (Hwy 460) and State Route 727. Marker is on the left when traveling southeast on George C. Parry Hwy (Hwy 460).
GPS Location: 37.153531,-81.875739
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom