Broad Street Station served passengers of the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railway and the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad from 6 Jan. 1919 until 15 Nov. 1975. This Neoclassical Revival station was the only commercial building designed by John Russell Pope, who also designed the Branch House in Richmond and the Jefferson Memorial, National Gallery of Art, and National Archives in Washington, D.C. This station is noted architecturally for its Classical details, hundred-foot-high rotunda, and cast-iron and steel butterfly canopies that sheltered travelers from the weather. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, the station became the home of the Science Museum of Virginia in 1977.
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: 2400-2602 W Broad Street (US 250), Richmond, VA 23220. Marker is in front of Science Museum of Virginia.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth