During the War of 1812, on 7 Aug. 1814 ten British ships and smaller vessels appeared on the Coan River, which flows into the Potomac. The invaders sent three barges to capture three American schooners situated within two miles of Northumberland Court House. The Lancaster County militia repulsed the attack until British reinforcements arrived. Before leaving, the British seized the schooners and destroyed property at Northumberland Court House. On 4 Oct. 1814, two British detachments of 3,000 infantry invaded Northumberland County from the Coan River. After initially resisting, the outnumbered militia retreated. The British captured ammunition, arms, and personal property before debarking.
Geographic Location: Northumberland County
Physical Description of Location: Junction of Northumberland Highway (US 360) and Forrest Hollows Road (State Route 612), Heathsville, VA 22473. Marker is on right when traveling west on 360.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth