On 20 July 1814, Adm. Sir George Cockburn sent about a thousand marines ashore at Nomini Ferry to attack the Westmoreland County militia under the command of Lt. Col. Richard E. Parker. Parker’s Virginians bravely defended their positions, but were soon outflanked by superior British forces and forced to retreat to Westmoreland Court House (Montross). Before they left the next morning, the British marines burned and destroyed a number of houses and several plantations in the immediate area, such as Bushfield, and ransacked nearby Nomini Church.
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Westmoreland County
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location - On Route 202 just west of the Nomini Bridge crossing over to Mount Holly
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth