Two miles east on 3 Aug. 1814, 500 British marines and seamen under Adm. Sir George Cockburn landed at Mundy’s Point and Kinsale. Opposing the enemy at the Point were Capt. William Henderson and thirty Northumberland county militiamen. Henderson’s company was forced to retreat to the county courthouse. Later that day, British forces took Kinsale, burned the town, and seized tobacco. Three days later, they began raids along the Coan River. The British troops included about fifty formerly enslaved African Americans, who were among the thousands who gained freedom by fighting or working for the British.
Year On Marker: 2010
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Northumberland County
Physical Description of Location: At the junction of Hampton Hall Road (Route 202) and Munday Point Road (Route 621), VA 22435.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth