The Sapling Grove tract (Bristol) was surveyed for John Tayloe, 1749. It was owned by Isaac Baker and Evan Shelby, who built a post about 1770. The Virginia tract was bought by John Goodson, whose son founded the town of Goodson, incorporated in 1856. In 1863 and 1865 it was raided by Unionists and partly burned. In 1890 it was named Bristol when incorporated as a city.
Geographic Location: Bristol
Physical Description of Location: Bristol, VA 24202. Located on Lee Hwy (Hwy 11), 0.8 miles east of the intersection of Lee Hwy (Hwy 11) and Clear Creek Road. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Lee Hwy (Hwy 11).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth