This classic Italian Villa-style house was completed in 1861 for Fauquier County judge Edward M. Spilman. James Keith, who later served as president of the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals (1895-1916), acquired it in 1869. John Singleton Mosby purchased the dwelling in 1875. Mosby, a Confederate colonel, commanded the Partisan Rangers (43d Battalion, Virginia Cavalry), which raided Union outposts, communications, and supply lines in Northern Virginia from 1863 to 1865. Eppa Hunton, a Confederate brigadier general, lawyer, and member of the U.S. Congress (House 1873-1881 and Senate 1892-1895), bought the house in 1877 and owned it until 1902.
Year On Marker: 2006
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Fauquier County
Physical Description of Location: 33 North Calhoun Street, Warrenton, VA 20186. Located at the intersection of Main Street (Hwy 15) and South Caroline Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth