containertop

Bremo Marker, F-52

The nearby Bremo properties include three separate houses, all built by planter, soldier, and reformer Gen. John Hartwell Cocke (1780-1866) on his family's 1725 land grant. The three properties--Bremo, Lower Bremo, and Recess--and their associated outbuildings were erected under Cocke's supervision. Bremo, completed in 1820, is an excellent example of Palladian-style architecture. Its design is the result of collaboration between Cocke and master builder John Neilson, who worked for Thomas Jefferson at Monticello and the University of Virginia. Lower Bremo and Recess both are neo-Jacobean-style architecture inspired by Bacon's Castle in Surry County.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2000
Region: Blue Ridge and Central Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Fluvanna County
Physical Description of Location: Bremo Bluff, VA 23022. Located on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15), 2 miles northeast of the junction of James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15) and State Route 652. Marker is on the left when traveling northeast on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15).
GPS Location: 37.717699,-78.301534
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom