Bolling Island mansion, overlooking an island of that name, stands at a bend of the James River to the south. John Bolling purchased the land in 1717. Begun about 1771, the house was completed in the late 1830s by Thomas Bolling, son of Col. William Bolling, of Bolling Hall. The principal features of the house are a two-story, Greek Revival-style portico on its south front, and several original outbuildings that stand behind it. Bolling Island remained in the Bolling family until 1870.
Geographic Location: Goochland County
Physical Description of Location: Goochland, VA 23063. Located on River Road West (Rt. 6), 0.25 miles west of the junction of River Road West (Rt. 6) and Dogtown Road. Marker is on the right when traveling west on River Road West (Rt. 6).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth