Bluefield College was chartered in May 1920 as "an institution of learning for the instruction of boys and young men in the various branches of science, literature, philosophy, and the liberal and useful arts." With strong support from the Baptist General Association of Virginia and citizens of the area, it opened as a junior college with three buildings in 1922. Women attended as day students from 1922; the school became fully coeducational in 1951. Bluefield College was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools as a four-year institution in 1977.
Geographic Location: Tazewell County
Physical Description of Location: 32-35 College Avenue, about .9 miles east of intersection with S College Avenue (Virginia 102), Bluefield, VA 24605. Marker is in front of Bluefield College.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth