In the first few years of the English settlement at Jamestown, colonists built small, isolated, fortified structures—called blockhouses—around the perimeter of the main settlement to provide refuges, observation posts, and rallying points in the case of attack. On 29 Mar. 1610, Paspahegh Indians, who consistently resisted the English incursion into their territory, attacked the blockhouse near here, killing the soldiers stationed there. The attack was in retaliation for the Feb. killing of their leader Wowinchapuncke. On 20 May 1611, Sir Thomas Dale directed the raising of another blockhouse “on the north side of our back river to prevent the Indians from killing our cattle.”
Year On Marker: 2011
Original Sponsor: Alain Outlaw - James City County Historical Commission
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: 2225 Jamestown Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185. Marker is in front of Jamestown visitor parking lot on Jamestown Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth