Blanford Church and Cemetery Marker, QA-11

The brick church on Well's Hill, now known as Old Blandford Church, was built between 1734 and 1737. The British General Phillips was buried in the churchyard in 1781. In the cemetery is a monument to Captain McRae and the Petersburg volunteers, who at Fort Meigs in 1813 won for Petersburg the name of the "Cockade City of the Union." Soldiers of six wars rest here, among them 30,000 Confederates.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1931
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Petersburg
Physical Description of Location: Southeast corner of intersection between S Crater Road (Bus 460 and 301) and Rochell Lane, Petersburg, VA 23803.
GPS Location: 37.2261822030,-77.3884377290
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth