In 1926, Graham F. Blandy bequeathed a 712-acre portion of his estate, The Tuleyries, to the University of Virginia to educate “boys farming in the various branches.” Beginning late in the 1920s, the two-story, century-old brick slave quarters was enlarged and converted into laboratories and housing, and 172 acres were developed into an arboretum. Containing one of the most diverse collections of trees and woody shrubs in the eastern United States, Blandy Experimental Farm was designated the State Arboretum of Virginia in 1986. The University of Virginia uses Blandy Farm for environmental research and education.
Geographic Location: Clarke County
Physical Description of Location: 132-138 Tuleyries Lane, White Post, VA 22663. Marker is near intersection of John S. Mosby Highway (Route 50) and Bland Farm Lane. Marker is visible on right when traveling east on Route 50.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth