Probably named for Richard Bland, a leader of Virginia's colonial resistance to Great Britain during the 1760s and 1770s and a Virginia Revolutionary patriot, this mountainous county was formed in 1861 from Giles, Wythe, and Tazewell Counties. Sharon Lutheran Church, built about 1883 near Ceres, is noted for its cemetery, which contains many boldly carved headstones that reflect the area's German folk culture. Bland is the county seat. Built in 1889, the courthouse originally had pointed Gothic Revival-style windows on the facade; the windows probably were altered to their present form about 1929, when the portico was added.
Geographic Location: Bland County
Physical Description of Location: Bastian, VA 24314. Located on Bland Road (Rt. 598), 2 miles east of the intersection of Bland Road (Rt. 598) and Hwy 460. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Bland Road (Rt. 598).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth