Several skirmishes were fought at the South Quay crossing over the Blackwater River between 1862 and the end of the Civil War. On 3 Oct. 1862, Union gunboats on their way to attack Franklin exchanged fire with Confederate infantry and artillery lining the banks of the river. Early in the morning of 9 Dec. 1862, Union artillery shelled the Confederate camp on the west side of the river nearby. Confederate divisions commanded by Gens. Micah Jenkins and George E. Pickett crossed here on a pontoon bridge on 11 April 1863 to aid Lt. Gen. James Longstreet's siege of Suffolk. They recrossed here on 4 May 1863 at the end of the siege.
Geographic Location: Southampton County
Physical Description of Location: 36010-36042 S Quay Road (Virginia 189), Franklin, VA 23851. Marker was located at junction of S Quay Road and Pretlow Road (State Route 714).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth