A major Blackwater River crossing was located here at Franklin during the Civil War. Confederate forces guarded the crossing from 1862 to the end of the war as part of the Blackwater defensive line. Several skirmishes were fought around the pontoon bridge here in 1862 and 1863. During the morning of 11 April 1863, Confederate Maj. Gen. John Bell Hood's division crossed the river on the bridge on its way to aid Lt. Gen. James Longstreet's siege of Suffolk. Hood's division recrossed here on 4 May 1863 after the end of the siege.
Geographic Location: Isle of Wight County
Physical Description of Location: Franklin, VA 23851. Located on Carrsville Hwy (Hwy 258), 0.4 miles west of the junction of Carrsville Hwy (Hwy 258) and Jamestown Lane (Rt. 260). Marker is on the right when traveling west on Carrsville Hwy (Hwy 258).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth