Blackmore's Fort stood to the northeast on the Clinch River near the mouth of Stony Creek. John Blackmore and others likely constructed the fort by 1774. It served as a defensive fortification for settlers of European descent on the frontier. During Dunmore's War in 1774, Daniel Boone commanded Blackmore's Fort as well as Moore's and Cowan's Forts on the Clinch River. During that war and the American Revolution (1775-1783), periodic conflicts between Native Americans and settlers occurred there, in part because of increased settlement. In the nearby cemetery are buried some of the early settlers to the area.
Geographic Location: Scott County
Physical Description of Location: 157 Kane Street (US 421 Business), about .1 miles west of junction with US 421, Gate City, VA 24251.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth