The Black Horse Cavalry was conceived at a gathering of Warrenton lawyers in 1858 and was among the local militia companies called to active duty by Governor Henry Wise in 1859. The Black Horse led a successful charge against Union forces at the First Battle of Manassas, winning the special praise of Confederate President Jefferson Davis. Known as Company H of the 4th Virginia Cavalry, the unit served as bodyguard, escort, and scout for generals Joseph E. Johnston and Stonewall Jackson. Following the war, a number of the men of the Black Horse became prominent leaders in the Commonwealth.
Geographic Location: Fauquier County
Physical Description of Location: Southeast corner of intersection of West Shirley Avenue and US 211 Business, Warrenton, VA 20186. Marker is in front of Waterloo Station Shopping Center.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth