During the First Battle of Manassas, amid the smoke of combat, troops found it difficult to distinguish between Union and Confederate flags. Generals P.G.T. Beauregard, Joseph E. Johnston and Quartermaster General William L. Cabell met near here in September 1861 and approved the first Confederate battle flag; a square red flag with blue diagonally crossed bars, and 12 stars. This pattern was adapted for use in other battle flags and was incorporated into the Confederate national flag in 1863. Beauregard's headquarters also hosted the 1 Oct. 1861 Fairfax Court House conference, during which Confederate President Davis and his generals plotted strategy.
Year On Marker: 2007
Original Sponsor: Michael Shumaker
Geographic Location: Fairfax (City)
Physical Description of Location: 10758 Main Street, Fairfax, VA 22030. . Located on Main Street (Rt. 236), 0.4 miles east of the intersection of Main Street (Rt. 236) and Lee Hwy (Hwy 29). Marker is on the left when traveling east on Main Street (Rt. 236).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth