Big Stone Gap, originally known as Three Forks, received its charter, February 23, 1888. A postoffice was established April 12, 1856. In the early nineties it became the center of iron and coal development. It was the home and workshop of John Fox, Jr., novelist, and author of "Trail of the Lonesome Pine."
Geographic Location: Wise County
Physical Description of Location: 100-198 Roaring Branch Road (US 23 Business), between Shawnee Avenue E and bridge over creek, Big Stone Gap, VA 24219. Marker is on right, in parking lot of business, when traveling north on US 23 Business, just prior to crossing bridge.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth