In 1799 the local Baptist Society acquired this land and soon built a meetinghouse. The Bethel congregation worshiped in the meetinghouse and was constituted as a church in 1817. About 1820 the members built a brick church here--the first in Chesterfield County. The present sanctuary, which replaced it in 1894, was then the most elaborate rural church in the county, having Gothic buttresses, fine exterior detailing, and a rib-vaulted chancel. In the churchyard are buried soldiers of virtually every war from the Revolution through Vietnam.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Midlothian, VA 23113. Located on Huguenot Springs Road, 0.2 miles north of the intersection of Huguenot Springs Road and Midlothian Turnpike (Hwy 60). Marker is on the left when traveling north on Huguenot Springs Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth