Before 1798 Berryville was known as Battletown, a name that perhaps originated from a local tavern famous for its fistfights. The General Assembly incorporated the town of Berryville on 15 Jan. 1798. Located at a major crossroads of the Shenandoah Valley and northern Virginia, Berryville saw much military activity during the Civil War. On 13 Aug. 1864 Col. John S. Mosby attacked a Union supply train destined for Maj. Gen. Philip Sheridan's troops at Winchester. Important nearby houses include Audley, the home of Nellie Custis, Washington's stepgranddaughter, and Rosemont, the home of Gov. Harry Flood Byrd, Sr.
Geographic Location: Clarke County
Physical Description of Location: Berryville, VA 22611. Located on South Buckingham Street (Hwy 340), 0.8 miles south of the intersection of South Buckingham Street (Hwy 340) and West Main Street. Marker is on the right when traveling south on South Buckingham Street (Hwy 340).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth