containertop

Berryville – Clarke County Marker, Q-3-c

The town was laid out in 1798 on land of Benjamin Berry and was first known as Battletown. Here at "Audley" lived Nellie Custis, Washington's adopted daughter. Here at "Soldier's Rest" lived General Daniel Morgan, who built "Saratoga." Here Lee's army camped on the way to Gettysburg. Near here many engagements occurred, 1862-64.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1930
Region: Shenandoah Valley Region
Geographic Location: Clarke County
Physical Description of Location: Berryville, VA 22611. Located on West Main Street, 1.4 miles southeast of the intersection of West Main Street and Harry Byrd Hwy (Rt. 7). Marker is on the left when traveling southeast on West Main Street.
GPS Location: 39.1554336520,-77.9874053710
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom