A mile north, on the site of an important Appamatuck Indian village, Sir Thomas Dale established Bermuda Hundred in 1613. The hundred was a traditional English jurisdiction of one hundred families. Dale, the deputy governor and marshal of Virginia, founded an incorporated town and the first system of private land-tenure in English America there between 1611 and 1614. Bermuda Hundred was an official port of entry on the James River in the 1700s, with its own customhouse and inspectors. Benedict Arnold headquartered there briefly during the Revolutionary War. In 1864-1865, during the Civil War, the Federal Army of the James, commanded by Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler, had its base of operations there.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Bermuda, VA 23836. Located on E. Hundred Road (Rt. 10), 2.75 miles northwest of the intersection of E. Hundred Road (Rt. 10) and Windston Churchill Drive (Rt. 156). Marker is on the right when traveling northwest on E. Hundred Road (Rt. 10).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth