containertop

Berkeley Plantation or Harrison’s Landing Marker, V-7

A short distance south. It was first settled in 1619, when the first Thanksgiving was held here. The present mansion, built in 1726, was the birthplace of Benjamin Harrison, signer of the Declaration of Independence, and President William Henry Harrison. During July and August, 1862, it was the headquarters of General McClellan. The bugle call "Taps" was composed here then by General Butterfield.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1954
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: Charles City County
Physical Description of Location: 4800 John Tyler Memorial Highway, Charles City, VA 23030. Marker is on right when traveling east on Route 5 prior to entrance to Berkley and Westover.
GPS Location: 37.331023,-77.190599
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom