A short distance south. The place was first settled in 1619 but was abandoned. It was repatented in 1636. Benjamin Harrison, signer of the Declaration of Independence, lived here; his son, William Henry Harrison, President of the United States, was born here, 1773. In July-August, 1862, General McClellan had his headquarters at Berkeley while the Army of the Potomac was here.
Geographic Location: Charles City County
Physical Description of Location: Charles City, VA 23030. Located on John Tyler Memorial Hwy, 1.5 miles west of the intersection of John Tyler Memorial Hwy and Barnetts Road (Rt. 609). Marker is on the left when traveling west on John Tyler Memorial Hwy.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth