This place became the county seat of Bedford when it was moved from New London in 1782. First called Liberty (incorporated in 1839), the town changed its name to Bedford City in 1890 and to Bedford in 1912. A third courthouse, built in 1834, was replaced by the present building in 1930. The Union General Hunter, with his army, passed here in June, 1864, on his way to Lynchburg, and repassed on his retreat.
Geographic Location: Bedford (City)
Physical Description of Location: Northwest corner of E Main Street (US 221) and Court Street, Bedford, VA 24523. Marker is on front of court facing E Main Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth