containertop

Battles of Fredericksburg Marker, E-44

During the First and Second Battles of Fredericksburg, the Confederates occupied Marye's Heights, a defensive position enhanced by a sunken road and stone wall on the eastern slope. On 13 Dec. 1862, during the first battle, Lt. Gen. James Longstreet's Confederate corps withstood attempts by Union Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker's and Maj. Gen. Edwin V. Sumner's Grand Divisions to take the heights. During the second battle (Chancellorsville campaign), on 3 May 1863, Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick's Union troops repeatedly attempted to capture the ridge from Brig. Gen. William Barksdale's brigade. A bayonet charge finally drove the Confederates off the heights.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2000
Region: Fredericksburg-Culpeper-Warrenton and Upper Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Fredericksburg
Physical Description of Location: Fredericksburg, VA 22401. Located on Lafayette Blvd (Hwy 1), 0.2 miles northeast of the intersection of Lafayette Blvd (Hwy 1) and Blue and Gray Pkwy (Rt. 3). Marker is on the left when traveling northeast on Lafayette Blvd (Hwy 1).
GPS Location: 38.2911074090,-77.4699411370
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom