On 25 Apr. 1781, American Brig. Gen. Peter Muhlenberg’s Virginia militia fell back west from Blandford, under heavy British fire, to a prepared line of defense here along the crest of this hill. This second line of Virginia militia, consisting of four regiments of infantry, extended from the Appomattox River on the north and present-day Washington Street to the south of here. The Virginians repelled several British assaults, but soon their ammunition ran low and, after Maj. Gen. William Phillips unleashed his artillery, Maj. Gen. Friedrich von Steuben, the overall American commander, ordered a retreat west toward the Pocahontas Bridge.
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Petersburg
Physical Description of Location: 200-256 N Madison Street, Petersburg, VA 23803. Marker is on left when traveling north on N Madison Street, just prior to junction with 5th Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth