On 25 Apr. 1781, American Brig. Gen. Peter Muhlenberg formed his first line of 500 Virginia militia here to meet the British. The line extended along East Street from the Appomattox River to present-day Washington Street and consisted of two infantry regiments. Maj. Gen. William Phillips' 2,500-man army, including one Light Infantry battalion and the 76th and 80th Regiments of Foot, struck the Americans here. After several assaults and the deployment of four British cannon, the militia withdrew westward, through Blandford (then a separate town), across Lieutenant Run, and on to Madison Street in eastern Petersburg.
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Petersburg
Physical Description of Location: West corner of intersection of E Bank Street (Route 36) and East Street, Petersburg, VA 23803. Marker is on right when traveling west on E Bank Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth