To the west stood East Hill (Bollingbrook), home of the widow Mary Marshall Tabb Bolling. After the 25 Apr. 1781 Battle of Petersburg, British Maj. Gen. William Phillips and Brig. Gen. Benedict Arnold located their headquarters at the house. The British reoccupied it on 9 May, after returning from Richmond. The following day, Maj. Gen. Lafayette shelled Petersburg, from the heights on the north bank of the Appomattox River. After becoming gravely ill, Phillips died there on 13 May. Lieut. Gen. Charles Cornwallis marched into town on 20 May, uniting his force with Arnold's and kept his headquarters at East Hill until he departed on 24 May.
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Petersburg
Physical Description of Location: 200-256 N Madison Street, Petersburg, VA 23803. Marker is on left when traveling north on N Madison Street, just prior to junction with 5th Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth