On 24 Apr. 1781, Maj. Gen. William Phillips's force of 2,500 British regulars landed at City Point, 12 miles to the east on the James River, as part of a major campaign to disrupt the American force's main line of communication through Virginia. The next morning, Phillips marched his troops along River Road toward Petersburg. Shortly before noon, he and Brig. Gen. Benedict Arnold formed their line of battle in this vicinity and launched their attack on the first line of 500 Virginia militiamen positioned to defend Petersburg one-quarter of a mile west in Blandford.
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Petersburg
Physical Description of Location: E Washington Street (Route 36) westbound, on right just past intersection with Puddledock Road, Petersburg, VA 23803.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth