The Battle of Hanover Court House, also known as the Battle of Slash Church, took place here on 27 May 1862. Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan dispatched Maj. Gen. Fitz John Porter to deal with reported Confederates forces on the Union flank. About noon, Porter’s men encountered Confederate Col. Lawrence O’Bryan Branch’s men here at Dr. Joseph McKinney’s farm, in the first phase of the battle. After pushing them back, Porter then became vulnerable to attack from Confederates a mile west at Peake’s Station. Porter managed to blunt that attack and held the field at the end of the day.
Original Sponsor: DHR-TEA Sesquicentennial
Geographic Location: Hanover County
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location: Near the McKinney house at the intersection of 301 and 651
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth