Battle of Cold Harbor-Flag of Truce Marker, E-130

On 5 June 1864, two hot days after Gen. Robert E. Lee's bloody repulse of Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's frontal assault, Federal Lt. Col. Theodore Lyman met Confederate Maj. Thomas J. Wooten nearby on Cold Harbor Road to initiate written communication on the plight of the Union wounded between the lines. Confederate Gen. A. P. Hill's trenches stood 800 yards west, and skirmishers' rifle pits survive only 200 yards away. Because Lee and Grant disagreed on terms, two more days elapsed before they observed a two-hour flag of truce. Only a few wounded Federals were found alive. The remainder had either died, crawled to safety, or been retrieved under cover of darkness.

Marker Information:
Date Approved by DHR: 06/01/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Hanover County
Physical Description of Location: Mechanicsville, VA 23111. Located on Cold Harbor Road (Rt. 156), 0.833333333333333 miles north of the junction of Cold Harbor Road (Rt. 156) and State Route 630. Marker is on the left when traveling north on Cold Harbor Road (Rt. 156).
GPS Location: 37.56590598,-77.2663592320
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth