Battle of Bristoe Station Marker, G-20

In the autumn of 1863, Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, with Lt. Gen. A. P. Hill's III Corps in the lead, pursued Maj. Gen. George G. Meade's Union army as it withdrew toward Washington. On the afternoon of 14 October, Maj. Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren's II Corps, Meade's rear guard, took a strong defensive position along the railroad embankment to meet an impetuous attack by elements of Hill's corps from the northwest. The Confederates were repulsed with heavy casualties (about 1,300 to Warren's 548), including the loss of an unsupported battery of five guns about 500 yards north. Warren stealthily withdrew after dark to resume his march to Centreville. About 43 Union and 137 Confederate dead were buried on the field.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/18/09
Year On Marker: 1994
Region: Northern Virginia Region
Geographic Location: Prince William County
Physical Description of Location: 10594-10664 Bristow Road (Virginia 619), on left just prior to intersection with Iron Brigade Unit Avenue, Bristow, VA 20136
GPS Location: 38.727947,-77.541229
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth