On 10 June 1861, the first land battle of the Civil War in present-day Virginia took place here at Big Bethel Church. Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler, commanding at Fort Monroe, sent converging columns at night from Hampton and Newport News for a dawn attack against Confederate outposts there. The 1,408 Confederates, led by Cols. John B. Magruder and D. H. Hill, fell back to their entrenchments behind Brick Kiln Creek, near the church. Some 4,400 Federals under Brig. Gen. Ebenezer W. Pierce pursued, launched two disjointed attacks, and were repulsed. They then retreated to Fort Monroe, leaving the Confederates in control of most of the Peninsula.
Geographic Location: Hampton
Physical Description of Location: Hampton, VA 23666. Located on Big Bethel Road (Rt. 600), 0.4 miles north of the junction of Big Bethel Road (Rt. 600) and Saunders Road. Marker is on the right when traveling north on Big Bethel Road (Rt. 600).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth