containertop

Battle of Bethesda Church Marker, O-12

Here stood Bethesda Church, founded about 1830 and used by Baptists and Disciples of Christ until it burned in 1868. In May 1864, during the Civil War, Maj. Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren's V Corps formed the left flank of Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's Union line here, facing Gen. Robert E. Lee's army. On 30 May, Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early's attack on Warren's position failed. Early attacked again on 2 June, but was beaten back by Maj. Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside's IX Corps. The next day Grant assaulted the center of Lee's line at Cold Harbor and was defeated with enormous losses.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1997
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Hanover County
Physical Description of Location: Mechanicsville, VA 23111. Located on Mechanicsville Turnpike (Hwy 360), 0.25 miles east of the intersection of Mechanicsville Turnpike (Hwy 360) and State Route 615. Marker is on the right when traveling east on Mechanicsville Turnpike (Hwy 360).
GPS Location: 37.6284685520,-77.2949071090
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom