Near this building stood the station of the South Side Railroad where, on April 8, 1865, three trains unloading supplies for the Army of Northern Virginia were captured by units of Sheridan's Union Cavalry under Gen. Geo. Custer. Significant for its relationship to the surrender by Gen. Robert E. Lee at Appomattox Court House, this action also marked the last strategic use of rail by Confederate forces.
Geographic Location: Appomattox County
Physical Description of Location: Appomattox, VA 24522. Located on West James Anderson Hwy (Rt. 60), 0.5 miles east of the intersection of West James Anderson Hwy (Rt. 60) and State Route 654. Marker is on the left when traveling east on West James Anderson Hwy (Rt. 60).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth