containertop

Barford Marker, J-90

Located one mile south on land lying between the eastern and western branches of the Corotoman River, is the site of Barford, the dwelling of Captain Thomas Carter who was living there by 1674. A gift from his father-in-law, Edward Dale, the property remained in the Carter family until 1782 when it was sold to Colonel James Gordon, Jr. by Edward Carter, great-grandson of Captain Thomas Carter.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1986
Region: Northern Neck-Middle Peninsula and Eastern Shore Region
Geographic Location: Lancaster County
Physical Description of Location: Located on State Route 604, less than 1/5 of a mile northeast of the junction of State Route 604 and West Point Road. Marker is on the right when traveling northeast on State Route 604.
GPS Location: 37.725145,-76.478993
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom